NextEra Energy, Inc. is a leading clean energy company.
- Our 2011 revenues totaled more than $15.3 billion.
- We operate more than 41,000 megawatts of generating capacity.
- We have approximately 15,000 employees in 24 states and Canada.
We have two principal subsidiaries.
- Florida Power & Light Company serves approximately 4.6 million customer accounts in Florida and is the largest rate-regulated utility in Florida and the third largest in the United States.
- NextEra Energy Resources is the largest generator in the U.S. of renewable energy from the wind and sun.
NextEra Energy operates the third largest number of commercial nuclear power units in the United States.
- We have eight nuclear units at five plant sites located in Florida, New Hampshire, Iowa and Wisconsin.
- These facilities have the capacity to generate more than 6,175 megawatts of emissions-free electricity, enough to supply the needs of more than 5 million households.
NextEra Energy has one of the nation’s cleanest generation fleets.
- NextEra Energy’s generation fleet has significantly lower rates of emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) than the average rates of the U.S. electric power industry, with approximately 93 percent of its 2011 generation, measured by megawatt hours produced, coming from renewables, nuclear and natural gas-fired facilities.
- NextEra Energy’s emissions rate for SO2, a principal cause of acid rain, was 0.24 pounds per megawatt hour in 2011, or 90 percent below the U.S. electric sector average. The company’s emissions rate for NOx, which are a principal cause of smog, was 0.22 pounds per megawatt hour in 2011, or 81 percent below the industry average. And NextEra Energy’s emissions rate for CO2, a principal cause of global climate change, was 607 pounds per megawatt hour in 2011, or 51 percent below the industry average.
NextEra Energy Resources is the leading renewable energy company in North America.
- We are No. 1 in wind energy in North America. In 2011, we added 379 megawatts of new wind generation, including 128 megawatts related to the repowering of two California wind facilities.
- In all, we now own 8,569 net megawatts of wind capacity in 17 states and Canada.
- To date, NextEra Energy Resources has invested more than $13 billion in its wind business.
- We operate the largest solar energy power plants in the world, the Solar Electric Generating Systems (SEGS) in California’s Mojave Desert. The size of 1,650 football fields, SEGS has 936,000 mirrors and 97,000 tubes and generates enough power during peak production to serve 230,000 homes.
- We are a leading producer of hydropower in the Northeast with 81 units at 23 projects on river basins in central and southern Maine.
Florida Power & Light, one of the largest U.S. electric utilities, provides its customers with affordable, reliable and clean energy solutions.
- FPL’s power is carried by way of more than 70,000 miles of power lines to approximately 4.6 million homes and businesses in about half the state of Florida.
- Our wide range of tools and incentives help our customers manage their energy usage and save money, giving us the No. 2 customer energy efficiency program in the United States. This program has avoided the need to build 13 power plants since 1981.
- FPL’s typical bill is the lowest out of 55 utilities in Florida and about 26 percent below the national average.
- Based on reliability performance reported to the Florida Public Service Commission, FPL has remained No. 1 among Florida’s investor-owned utilities for five years running. In a 2011 reliability benchmark study, FPL’s strong service reliability ranks in the top 25 percent of comparable utilities nationwide. FPL delivered more than 99.98 percent service reliability in 2011.
- FPL’s investments since 2001 have improved fuel efficiency at its plants by 19 percent. FPL’s plants are now more than 22 percent more efficient than the fossil industry average in 2010, the latest data available. Since 2001, FPL’s investments in making its power plants more efficient have saved its customers an estimated more than $5.5 billion in fuel costs.
NextEra Energy is committed to a culture of safety, health and wellness, continuous improvement, and community involvement.
revision date: 12/31/2011
- In 2008 we instituted a ZERO Today! safety vision to achieve a zero injury safety record across our operations. ZERO Today! stresses that safety is everyone’s job.
- Since its inception in 1991, our award-winning NextEra Health & Well-Being program has provided information, motivation and on-site facilities to help employees be as healthy as they can be.
- At NextEra Energy, quality and continuous improvement are a part of the way we work. We use Six Sigma and other processes to optimize our performance. Our Broadhead Award competition showcases how employee teams have used quality tools to improve business results, and our Quality and Safety Expo provides a chance for employees to share new ideas on the critical topics.
- We improve our communities by supporting local education and environmental programs and by helping customers suffering financial hardships. We support United Way, conduct Home Energy Makeovers, and provide students with opportunity to learn about everything from electrical safety to solar power to sea turtles.