NextEra Energy, Inc.is a leading clean energy company.
- 2014 revenues totaled approximately $17.0 billion
- Operates approximately 44,900 megawatts of generating capacity
- Approximately 13,800 employees in 27 states and Canada
We have two principal subsidiaries.
- Florida Power & Light Company (FPL), the largest rate-regulated electric utility in Florida, serves approximately 4.8 million customer accounts in the state and has the third-largest number of customers in the United States. NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, together with its affiliated entities, is the world’s largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun.
- NextEra Energy is one of the largest operators of commercial nuclear power units in the United States.
- We have eight nuclear units at five plant sites located in Florida, New Hampshire, Iowa and Wisconsin.
- These facilities have the capacity to generate more than 6,600 megawatts of emissions-free electricity, enough to supply the needs of nearly 5 million households.
NextEra Energy has one of the nation’s cleanest generation fleets.
- NextEra Energy’s generation fleet has significantly lower rates of emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) than the average rates of the U.S. utility sector, with more than 97 percent of its 2014 generation, measured by megawatt-hours (MWh) produced, coming from emissions-free renewable energy, emissions-free nuclear power or clean, natural gas-fired facilities.
- NextEra Energy’s emissions rate for SOx was 0.06 pounds per MWh in 2014, or 96 percent below the U.S. utility sector average. The company’s emissions rate for NOx was 0.17 pounds per MWh in 2014, or 82 percent below the industry average. And NextEra Energy’s emissions rate for CO2 was 493 pounds per MWh in 2014, or 58 percent below the industry average.
NextEra Energy Resources is the world’s largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun.
- In 2014, the business reached wind production levels of more than 32 million MWh of generation. To date, NextEra Energy Resources has invested more than $20 billion in its wind business.
- NextEra Energy Resources operates solar plants in California, New Mexico, Nevada, New Jersey and Ontario, Canada. In all, the business operates approximately 700 MW of solar power, which is capable of meeting the energy needs of more than 432,000 homes at peak production.
Florida Power & Light Company
- FPL’s typical residential bill has been the lowest in Florida for the past five consecutive years and, as of May 2015, is about 30 percent below the national average.
- A residential FPL customer with a 1,000-kWh bill paid about $270 less for power last year than Floridians served by other electric utilities. After the anticipated reduction in May, FPL’s typical bill will be more than 10 percent lower than it was in 2006, nearly a decade ago.
- In March 2015, FPL was ranked as the most reliable of Florida's major electric companies, based on 2014 performance data. FPL’s reliability ranks in the top 25 percent of all major utilities across the country. FPL again ranked first for reliability among investor-owned utilities in Florida in 2014 — the ninth consecutive year the company has earned that ranking.
- Since the 2005 storm season, FPL has invested more than $2 billion to strengthen its electric grid against severe weather by inspecting more than 1.2 million power poles and reinforcing the poles and wires that serve critical facilities in its communities. FPL also has installed nearly 4.8 million smart meters and thousands of intelligent devices throughout its system to help reduce the number of outages and restore service faster when outages do occur.
- Since 2001, FPL’s investments in clean, fuel-efficient power plants have saved customers more than $7.5 billion in fuel costs, helped reduce the company’s use of foreign oil by 99 percent and have significantly reduced power plant emissions rates. FPL now operates one of the most modern, clean, fuel-efficient and low-carbon generation fleets in the nation. To date, these investments have prevented more than 85 million tons of carbon emissions – the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency equivalent of removing more than 16 million cards from the road annually.
- FPL’s power is carried by way of more than 67,000 miles of power lines to nearly 4.8 million homes and businesses in about half the state of Florida.
Numerous major organizations have recognized NextEra Energy for our outstanding performance.
- In 2015, NextEra Energy was named to Fortune’s list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies,” ranking among the top 10 companies worldwide for innovativeness and community responsibility. In that same listing, NextEra Energy also ranked first among all electric and gas utilities for innovation, social responsibility and quality of products and services.
- For the eighth year, NextEra Energy in 2015 has been named one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute, which evaluated a company’s: ethics and compliance; culture of ethics; leadership, innovation and reputation; corporate citizenship and responsibility; and governance. Only 132 companies across more than 50 industries worldwide were selected for this prestigious honor, and NextEra Energy was one of only five energy and electric utility companies named to the list.
- In 2014, NextEra Energy was ranked as the top "green utility" in North America and No. 4 in the world based on carbon emissions and renewable energy capacity, according to the latest annual report from EI Energy Intelligence, an independent provider of global energy and geopolitical news, analysis, data and research.
revision date: 4/27/2105