Comprehensive Wellness for Employees and Their Families
The NextEra Health & Well-Being program provides information, motivation and on-site facilities to help employees take care of themselves and their families. The program consists of five distinct, integrated areas to help employees improve and maintain their health and well-being: fitness centers, health centers, health promotion, nutrition services and Employee Assistance Program (EAP) counseling services.
- Fitness Centers
On-site fitness centers are offered at 58 company locations, and at the two corporate fitness centers, 59 percent of eligible employees are enrolled, with 43 percent of those enrolled as active users. Sites with no fitness center have access to NextEra Energy's team of fitness professionals, and we offer a fitness rebate program designed to provide reimbursement to offset membership fees at fitness centers within the community.
- Health Centers
With more than 17,000 visits to our on-site health centers in 2015, our employees and their family members received high-quality primary care and other services including nutritional counseling, blood work, physical therapy and radiology services.
- Health Promotion
NextEra Health & Well-Being staff professionals made 158 on-site presentations to more than 4,100 employees in 2015 on topics ranging from healthy eating to back health and physical activity. In 2015, at 100 screening events across the U.S., 3,824 employees, spouses or dependents participated in on-site wellness screenings. In an effort to keep families healthy during flu season, we also provide, at no cost, the annual flu shot vaccine to the majority of our locations for employees and their families. In 2015, we had 2,957 participants receive flu shots at more than 60 locations around the nation.
- Nutrition Services
Our on-site cafeterias provide healthy meal choices, which represented 42 percent of total cafeteria sales in 2015. Even in our vending machines, healthy snacks account for 40 percent of the product choices. NextEra Health & Well-Being also offers programs and services from registered dietitians. Please see more information in the Spotlights that follow.
NextEra Energy Cafeterias are Empowering Employees to GO Healthy!
Eating a well-balanced diet provides the right vitamins, minerals and other nutrients to keep the body and mind strong and healthy. To encourage employees to make healthier food choices, NextEra Health & Well-Being partners with Aramark to provide a color-coded system that brings awareness to nutrition value.
NextEra Energy was recently recognized for its GO Healthy! campaign and received Ragan’s 2015 Employee Communications Award for Best Health/Fitness Program.
“It’s easy for people to develop a routine eating pattern, but often they don’t realize they’re making unhealthy choices,” said Aramark General Manager Jim Cawley. “I’ve definitely seen a culture shift in the cafeteria. It’s interesting to watch employees scan the color-coded system and chose healthier options now.”
Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles Award
For the 10th time, the National Business Group on Health has honored NextEra Energy for its ongoing commitment to promoting a healthy work environment and encouraging employees to live healthier lifestyles. NextEra Energy is the only company in the U.S. energy sector to receive this award in the prestigious Platinum category, which recognizes employers for their exemplary workplace well-being programs, cultures and results.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
In 2015, Cigna provided 5,034 total counseling sessions, and 904 employees and their family members accessed EAP counseling services. On-site counseling programs provided 234 individual sessions and 169 on-site educational presentations to 4,036 employees with a satisfaction rating of 98.4 percent. Employees also participated in various targeted programs, including Mindful Eating, Mindfulness at Work, a relaxation training program, a high-risk drinking screening initiative and a weight loss program.
- Other initiatives
- Other initiatives also contribute to maximizing our employees' health and well-being.
- Environmentally Friendly Workplace: Our corporate headquarters in Juno Beach, Florida – home to FPL, NextEra Energy Resources and other NextEra Energy subsidiaries – has earned the prestigious Gold-level Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. LEED is the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high-performance "green" buildings.
- Flexible Work: Our flexible work arrangement guidelines allow employees to schedule their work hours around family needs. On-site childcare provided during events such as hurricanes help employees balance work and family when they are needed at work for longer periods than normal.
- Functional Work Environments: We also provide programs to address the ergonomic needs and interests of our workforce. Employees can request on-site evaluations of their workspace and may qualify for special office furniture and equipment such as adjustable keyboard trays, phone headsets, trackball mouses and chairs with better ergonomics. We recently rolled out a new ergonomics computer program, which has provided more than 500 employee workstations with a comprehensive office tool for ergonomic positions.