At NextEra Energy, our investment in emissions-free and clean generation has reduced our impact on the air we breathe and demonstrates our commitment to environmental protection and stewardship.
- In 2016, 97.5 percent of the power produced by NextEra Energy facilities was generated from a diverse mix of clean or renewable sources, including wind, solar, combined-cycle natural gas and nuclear.
- At year-end 2016, NextEra Energy Resources was the world's largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and the sun. We ended 2016 with more than 13,000 MW of wind power capacity and over 1,900 MW of solar power capacity.
- FPL is the largest generator of solar power in Florida operating more than 335 megawatts of zero-emissions solar energy, and will be adding nearly 600 additional megawatts by 2018 and a total of 2,100 MW of solar through 2023 – enough to power more than 420,000 homes.
- Since 2001, FPL's investment in affordable clean energy infrastructure, which includes adding advanced technologies and phasing out older coal-fired and oil-burning power plants, has saved customers more than $8.6 billion in fossil fuel costs and prevented 108 million tons of carbon emissions.
- FPL also operates a large clean vehicle fleet consisting of over 2,400 bio-diesel, hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electric vehicles that provided a more than 700,000 gallon reduction in petroleum use and a more than 6,700 ton reduction in CO2 emissions in 2016.
Taken together, NextEra Energy is one of the cleanest energy companies in America.