JUNO BEACH, Fla. − NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) today announced it has been named to Fortune’s 2015 list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies” and, for the first time, is among the top 10 companies in the world in both the categories of innovativeness and community responsibility.
“This is a transformational time for our industry as customer needs, technology and the energy landscape are changing rapidly,” said Jim Robo, chairman and chief executive officer of NextEra Energy. “Each and every day, our team of nearly 14,000 employees is hard at work developing innovative solutions to create a clean, more affordable energy future and build stronger, more sustainable communities. As the nation’s leading clean energy company and the world’s largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun, we are proud of our accomplishments and honored to be recognized alongside the world’s most innovative and socially responsible companies.”
In determining the industry rankings, thousands of senior executives, outside directors and industry analysts are independently surveyed and companies are rated on nine attributes: innovation, people management, use of corporate assets, social responsibility, quality of management, financial soundness, long-term investment, quality of products/services and global competitiveness.
Recent performance highlights include:
- Largest generator of power from the wind and sun - In 2014, NextEra Energy was the largest generator in the world of renewable energy from the wind and sun.
- Excellent customer value - More than 4.7 million homes and businesses in Florida benefit from Florida Power & Light Company’s (FPL) customer value proposition that includes 99.98 percent reliability, award-winning customer service, one of the nation’s cleanest emissions profiles and a typical residential customer bill that for the past 5 years was the lowest in Florida and is approximately 25 percent lower than the national average.
- Low emissions rates - The output from NextEra Energy’s fleet of power plants in 2014 resulted in emissions rates of sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide and carbon dioxide that were 96 percent, 82 percent and 58 percent lower, respectively, than the U.S. electric industry’s average.
- Engaged with our communities - NextEra Energy employees have volunteered thousands of hours annually in service to their communities, served on the boards of directors of dozens of charitable organizations, donated millions of dollars to support nonprofit organizations and equipped teachers to help our young people learn science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) in our schools.
- Outstanding value for shareholders - For the 10 years ended Dec. 31, 2014, NextEra Energy’s total shareholder return was approximately 300 percent, compared to 151 percent for the S&P 500 Utilities Index and 109 percent for the S&P 500 Index.
NextEra Energy, whose principal subsidiaries are FPL and NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, also ranked first among electric and gas utilities for innovation, social responsibility and quality of products/services.
Complete results for the 2015 Fortune “World’s Most Admired Companies” rankings can be found at: http://fortune.com/worlds-most-admired-companies/.
NextEra Energy, Inc.
NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) is a leading clean energy company with consolidated revenues of approximately $17.0 billion, approximately 44,900 megawatts of generating capacity, which includes megawatts associated with noncontrolling interests related to NextEra Energy Partners, LP (NYSE: NEP), and approximately 13,800 employees in 27 states and Canada as of year-end 2014. Headquartered in Juno Beach, Fla., NextEra Energy's principal subsidiaries are Florida Power & Light Company, which serves approximately 4.7 million customer accounts in Florida and is one of the largest rate-regulated electric utilities in the United States, and NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which, together with its affiliated entities, is the world’s largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun. Through its subsidiaries, NextEra Energy generates clean, emissions-free electricity from eight commercial nuclear power units in Florida, New Hampshire, Iowa and Wisconsin. NextEra Energy has been recognized often by third parties for its efforts in sustainability, corporate responsibility, ethics and compliance, and diversity, and has been ranked in the top 10 worldwide for innovativeness and community responsibility as part of Fortune’s 2015 list of “World's Most Admired Companies.” For more information about NextEra Energy companies, visit these websites: www.NextEraEnergy.com, www.FPL.com, www.NextEraEnergyResources.com.