Additional Resources

General Storm Resources

Preparing for a storm


Emergency Management Internet Sites
Comprehensive list from the Florida Division of Emergency Management

National and Florida News Internet Sites
Maintained by the Florida Division of Emergency Management

American Red Cross
Links to local chapters

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
U.S. disaster relief services

Insurance Information Institute
Information, analysis and referrals concerning insurance

Post-storm resources

American Red Cross
American Red Cross chapters offer a range of services to residents, including food, shelter, counseling and other assistance.

Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA)
The Federal Emergency Management Agency provides disaster assistance including temporary housing, repairs, permanent housing construction and other needs. To apply for assistance, call 1-800-621-3362. (Hearing or speech impaired call 1-800-462-7585.) When you call FEMA, have the following information ready to give to the person who takes your call:

  • Social Security number
  • Description of your losses caused by the disaster
  • Insurance information
  • Directions to your damaged property
  • A telephone number where you can be reached

Within 10 days of your application, an inspector will contact you to arrange a visit to your property. Within 10 days of an inspector’s visit, FEMA will issue a check to eligible applicants.

Working with Contractors

  • Check your contractor’s license so you can be certain it is current and valid
  • Be familiar with the permits necessary to do the work
  • Get at least two estimates in writing of the cost of your repairs
  • Only pay for work completed to your satisfaction -- usually done on a draw basis measured by the percent of construction completed
Disaster information and resources are available from the company’s mental health provider. Information on their Web site includes general information on how to apply for disaster relief resources, what to do after a hurricane hits and information specific to each affected county. By phone, EAP specialists are available to assist employees with a range of personal concerns, such as stress, anxiety and the grieving process. Employees also may receive referrals from a national database of community resources to help with specific concerns, such as financial and legal issues.

  • Live And Work Well
  •   Employee access code:
  • Non-bargaining unit: 11530
  • Bargaining unit: 11580
  •   On the upper right hand corner of the home page type "natural disasters" in the yellow "How can We Help You?" box
  • Or call: 877-388-2194