We’re proud of our decades-long record of safe nuclear operations. Our nuclear team is committed to excellence and to producing nuclear energy in a safe, reliable and cost-effective way. Our strategy to ensure safety and reliability is founded on robust plant design and construction, highly experienced and well-trained personnel, stringent plant security and comprehensive safety planning.
In addition to these existing initiatives, we have revalidated the safety of our nuclear plants to address the 2011 earthquake and tsunami events in Japan and the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission's response initiatives as well as devoted significant time and focused attention to make our facilities even safer. To this end, we have:
- Dedicated thousands of hours to revalidating safety systems, procedures and emergency training programs.
- Reconfirmed the health of emergency equipment.
- Ensured the availability of emergency power.
- Strengthened our facilities to withstand extreme natural events, such as earthquakes, flooding and fires.
- Enhanced core and spent fuel cooling capability.
- Invested approximately $300 million in FLEX upgrades to add additional layers of safety, for example additional electrical generators and high-capacity pumps that run on diesel fuel (already stored safely onsite) to provide additional backup power and cooling water;
- Enhanced communication capabilities.
- Updated operator training programs.
- Continued to maintain our full-time event response team.