We're committed to being an industry leader in environmental protection and stewardship. Our Environmental Policy establishes our core environmental expectations and provides actionable guidance for all employees as we strive to foster a culture of environmental excellence and challenge ourselves to continuously improve. Everyone at NextEra Energy understands that protecting the environment is a collective responsibility. It's why our senior executives are actively involved in our environmental accountability, management and stewardship programs that are intended to:
- Design, construct, operate and maintain our facilities in an environmentally sound and responsible manner.
- Prevent pollution, minimize waste and conserve natural resources.
- Avoid, minimize and/or mitigate impacts to habitat, wildlife and cultural resources.
- Engage local stakeholders and environmental agencies.
- Support local environmental education, conservation and research projects though NextEra Energy Foundation giving.
*The CO2 emissions goal is based on NextEra Energy’s owned generation. Achievement of the CO2 emissions goals will be dependent on many factors, including, but not limited to, governmental policy and mergers and acquisitions.
*Certain facilities within the NextEra Energy Resources wind and solar generation portfolio produce Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) and other environmental attributes which are typically sold along with the energy from the plants under long-term contracts, or may be sold separately from wind and solar generation not sold under long-term contracts. The purchasing party is solely entitled to the reporting rights and ownership of the environmental attributes. Visit “Reports and Filings” on the investor page for more information.
*All metrics in this section are as of year-end 2020 unless otherwise noted.